It’s been a crazy few months, so much stuff has happened since my last update – hardly surprising considering that was six months ago! We had a baby, sent our eldest boy off to school, all the while trying to pack in as much house stuff as we could. Three children is hard work! Not in a bad way, but of course newborn babies take a lot of time and steal a lot of your sleep, leaving you with a lot less time and energy for other pursuits! Not that I mind one little bit, I’ve enjoyed the relaxing time away from renovations, our baby boy is so delicious and following in his big brother and sisters footsteps of being a fantastic sleeper and basically one relaxed and happy little man. He is perfect, we are so very blessed.
A few more rooms in our house are feeling “finished”… In that they have blinds and light fittings, we still are really lacking art on the walls in almost every single room but there is time for that.
I finally finished sewing the massive drapes in our room. In true Laura fashion I decided to go big or go home and sewed huge floor to ceiling drapes for our bay window. We have a really high stud (3.5m) so it was a flipping mission and one I won’t be doing again any time soon. They look amazing though – it was almost worth it.
We purchased a second hand sofa bed and have had people to stay in our blind-less third bedroom …
And most recently ….. we have started dealing to the disaster that is the laundry! We left this till last and have been storing a huge amount of tools and paint and just grossness in this room. Unfortunately you have to walk through it to get to the toilet and the upstairs so everyone who comes over gets to view its disgustingness … and I spent a fair amount of time in there doing just the most insane amount of washing what with Playcentre and cricket and gym and school and sports and renovations and day to day washing….
This has been a huge DIY effort on the most insanely minimal budget – and once again huge thanks to my dad for all his epic work including cutting and fitting this beautiful undermount sink. The tap was $40 off trademe, sink $140 off trademe and the bench $100 from bunnings. The cupboards came to a total of $240 off trademe as well. Unfortunately I’m dumb and forgot to take any before pics which is a shame because this was almost the worst room in the place. Still got a lot of painting and tiling etc to go but it’s so beautiful I had to share. xx
This was the room we originally prioritised, before we all got lead poisoning we thought that we could snuggle in together in here and do up the rest of the house at a leisurely pace. That idea didn’t last for long! So the first major problem in here was the ceiling was just black with mold. Curtains hadn’t been opened in a decade or more nor had a single window been opened in the house and it was pretty gross.
It’s hard to tell from these pictures but the wardrobe was all kinds of wonky and don’t you just love the light fitting on the wardrobe?!
Tackling the moldy ceiling was my first gross/yuck task of the broken house. The internet is filled with all sorts of advice on mold removal for villa and bungalow ceilings – most of which tells you to wipe it off with some bleach. Take my advice, do not even consider going down this route. Yeah, it does work but standing at the top of the scaffolding wiping bleach off and trying to rinse off a bleachy cloth is not a fun idea, it took me a couple of evenings and I had accomplished a tenth of the ceiling and lightened my hair a few shades.
I wandered off to bunnings and bought the most concentrated form of 30 seconds mold remover I could find, loaded it into a weed sprayer, pumped it up and covered my head in a blanket and sprayed it up onto the ceiling. It worked miraculously – the mold disappears before your eyes. The downside? The stuff is EXTREMELY toxic, you couldn’t go in the room for days and it saturated the carpet and stank for weeks afterwards.
Like I said, this was the first room we tackled. We ripped the scrim off and for insulating the exterior walls we had the help of a builder. He advised us that we should take off all the trim – skirtings, ceiling architraves, doors etc. At the time everyone was throwing advice at us left right and centre and we really had no clue what we were doing. So we kind of just went with it. Turned out to be such a hassle, and a big waste of time and money. Of course all the ceiling architraves broke coming down.
The new ceiling architraves, which we had to construct from two pieces of trim to match the original. And the first coat of paint!
Once we ripped out the wonky wardrobe we discovered this room had the most original flooring intact, the lino square which had been protected by the carpet.
It also had a lovely dark shellac, and this ^^ a ton of borer. This room was the worst for damp (as shown by moldy ceiling) and borer sure do like damp wood. There are some old floorboard repairs not done to a great standard and some patches like what you see above, the wood in a few places is very soft. For now, we have just left it, our budget has said that his is a problem for later. We also discovered when doing our underfloor insulation that some of the piles are just floating under the house! So I pretty much just filled a few holes, stained a few light patches and danish oiled over the lot. The floor is very rustic and original!
Both our kiddies are sharing and it is working so well. So very much better than I ever expected. I don’t really like sharing these pictures yet, it’s not a finished room to me there is no decoration of any kind, no curtains/blinds nor a light fitting! But it will be fun to update the blog with progress as those things get ticked off the list.
Excuse the failed panorama!
And that’s all for now! x