what is an internship?
- any practical experience related to your career goals.
- opportunity to build your knowledge and skills, exposure to opportunities, and connections to professionals in your field.
- can be paid or unpaid.
search for an internship
timing of your search:
- start your search in september if you want to be part of a formal intern program at a large company. many large corporations try to hire all of their summer interns before thanksgiving.
- government agencies tend recruit interns late in the fall semester or near the beginning of the calendar year.
- small organizations or non-profits often begin seeking summer interns in february or later.
tools for your search:
- use job sites like handshake to find posted opportunities for illinois students.
- participate in career fairs or other on-campus recruiting activities.
- search individual company websites, internship databases, or general search engines to uncover internships that interest you.
earning academic credit for an internship
- in order to receive academic credit for an internship, students must ask their department/ academic advisor whether they have an internship course that provides the opportunity to earn credit in association with the internship.
- credit is earned by integrating the internship experience with academic work through the internship course.